Are you the Judean People’s Front? F**k Off we’re the People’s Front ofJudea

 

I can’t help myself whenever I walk round Roman Ruins but think of the definitive film of that era ie Life of Brian…..an all time classic😉

Things got a bit lively in Ifrane forest with winds gusting to 80km so I headed north to Fez with the intention of going to the vast Roman town of Volubilis; this was at the extremity of this part of the Empire and is a huge site of c. 40 hectares although only about 20 have been excavated.


I arrived at about 10 on a cloudy but dry day and cannot have seen more than 50 people in the 2-3 hours I was on site.  All is in the open and uncovered and I was free to walk round and look in awe at the dozens of unrestored but nearly perfect mosaics.  At the risk of boring I have added some photos below.






Love the mosaic of the guy riding a horse backwards…..reminds me of  The Boy’s equestrian prowess when he was a kid and we went riding in Cornwall🤪.  

Whilst in Fez, I also took the opportunity of testing the one bit of kit on the Landrover I had not used to date ie the full waterproofing of engine and snorkel….the storms I avoided in Ifrane hit Fez with a vengeance and the city soon flooded.  Chaos ensued with taxis swamped on roundabouts and in places water between 8 and 18 inches deep…loved it, so I did the obvious, jumped in the car and went for a play 😀


After the rain, I spent yesterday afternoon and this morning in the Fez Medina, may have found the best Merguez to date (highly spiced goat this time) in a lovely Riad restaurant, and then wandered.

Fez is so much better than Marrakech, really laid back and chilled although the smell from the open tanneries was interesting and reminded me of the old underpass by the Merrion Centre in Leeds when I was a lad 😳





Very near the end of the Morocco part of the trip now, on Fri I will land back in Spain so my next blog will be from there….have fun 😎

Going to miss this country!

Comments

  1. Nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition after the Judean Front.......so... Cardinal Ximinez on arrival in Spain,.. which Nobody Expects ! Remember to use your 2 main weapons!.... or is that 3?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats, award for the best comment of the blogs to date coming your way🎉

      Delete
    2. I'm surprised it took you this long to quote Life of Brian. But good to hear that you may have had some progress on the Merguez!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Intended Route (part one - To Morocco)

The Intended Route (Part Three - Decompression & Decontamination)

Mid-century Crisis or exercising my right to say F**k IT